Archaeology in the Longmarket
The line drawing shows a reconstruction of the pre-war Longmarket building, destroyed in an air-raid in 1942 (click on it to get a larger image). After the war, a set of hideous concrete buildings were placed in the space. These were demolished in 1990 and residents of Canterbury were treated to an extensive excavation of the area by the Canterbury Archaeological Trust.
The Trust's Annual report from 1989/1990 contained several articles about the Longmarket dig:
The Trust's report from 1991/1992 contained an article on two nearly complete jugs: