We are about to take a turn to the east here, following the line of the old town walls.
The square fronted tower in the centre of the image bears a plaque, the text reads "This semi-circular tower is one of the twenty-four built as part of the medieval city wall. The tower probably dates from 1380-90 when the 'long wall' running from here to Westgate was rebuilt. Some of the earliest gunloops known in the country can be seen on the river frontage and high up next to the adjacent house. The tower was also provided with a battered plinth of Kentish ragstone which extended into the river. These architectural details can also be seen at Westgate and support the view that this tower formed part of the same building campaign. The road frontage of the tower was completely rebuilt in 1870 when it was converted into a dwelling."