The imposing exterior of the Kings School glooms over us at this point. The archway in the wall in the centre of the picture is an old bricked up gate, known as the Mint yard gate. The yard that used to be behind the gate was formerly the Almonry yard of Christ Church Priory. The gate gets its name from a mint that coined money for the Crown between 1540 and 1550.
Behind the gate in recent times was the Gymnasium of the Kings School. This was converted to classrooms in 1993.