Canterbury Archeological Trust

Nos 1A - 4 Pound Lane
Ian Anderson


Hillside Systems

Trust Index

Search

Pound Lane Index

Trust Web Site


Numerous sections of city wall between Westgate and Northgate built in c. AD. 270-90 and rebuilt some 1100 years later, have been exposed in Trust excavations during the past decade, (e.g. Annual Report 1983-4, 29-30). Impending redevelopment of a row of disused garages at Nos 1-5 Pound Lane, by Townscape Homes, provided another opportunity to examine the fabric of the wall in March 1988.

This excavation involved exposing wall fabric set against the entire development frontage of Pound Lane in a trench approximately 3 m. wide.

Surviving wall fabric of chalk mortared block-work was revealed immediately below the concrete base of the garages, but earlier cottage foundations and cellars had severely cut into the wall mass and had largely removed much of the original wall facing of tightly-fitting ashlar block-work. Only one small portion of Kentish ragstone facing, six courses high set slightly on the batter, was revealed at the south-west end of the trench. This well-fashioned facing was incorporated into wall fabric to protect against water erosion, as the river Stour probably acted as the city ditch at this point. The houses north-west of Pound Lane effectively overlie the city wall defensive ditch/river, on ground reclaimed when the city wall was demolished in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. A new riverside wall was constructed at this time, and new houses and the existing woolstore were built shortly after dumped soils had settled.

No trace of Roman fabric or Roman levels was observed during the excavation. Roman work had either been removed in c. 1370-90 when the city wall was rebuilt or had been incorporated within the core of the medieval fabric.

The foundations of the proposed new buildings have been carefully designed to protect this surviving section of the city wall.

Thanks are extended to Townscape Homes for funding our work here.

See this place today Click on the logo to see this place today.   The information on this page is Copyright © Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd 1989. Reproduced with permission.
The text and pictures were taken from Canterbury's Archaeology 1987/1988, The 12th Annual Report of Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd.


Peter Collinson Last change: 7th September 2008